Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Not a Wordless Wednesday

I just finished up my tenth handful of tootsie roll midgies for the night. The package says 400 midgies are in the bag, I probably had 300 tonight. Good gracious it has been a day. I can't really complain. One day I'll miss the chaos, but right now I'd be remiss if I didn't say it stresses me slightly. I took the boys out this morning and somehow lost one of Ryder's shoes getting in and out. This meant I had to carry both Ryder and Rustin until we could get to Payless and purchase a new pair of shoes. Seriously, it is so hot here that the pavement is a zillion degrees before 9 a.m..  Plus, no shoes is just gross. The lady must have thought I was ridiculous when she asked me what I was looking for and I told her a cheap pair to replace the "shoe" we just lost while running errands.  Oh and Payless...positioning the Dora Tennis Shoes on the shelf so that they fall directly eye level with a 2-year old is simply nasty marketing.  Do you realize that all 2 year olds love Dora and can not decipher between a boys shoe and a girls shoe?  Needless to say, we had to divert that crisis in the process of looking for a cheap sandal.  Could you imagine Matt's face if Ryder had come home with pink Dora shoes on? Sheesh!

New shoes on feet and it was time for lunch. I took them to McAlister's because I feel like Ryder eats french fries every day. Don't get me wrong...McAlister's isn't totally healthy, but at least they don't have french fries on the Menu. Carrying a baby, two drinks, an order number, my bag and directing a two-year old by the head...I spill my tea down my front. Of course. I manage to get all of us at the table, situated and myself dried off. Instantly, Ryder has to go to the bathroom. Grab my bag, grab Rustin, take Ryder's hand and go into the bathroom. Hoist the baby in between my legs so that I have both hands to put Ryder on the toilet. (Rustin is screaming, but what else can you do? I don't want to sit him on the floor. Any tips are welcomed!) Ryder opens the little trash bin in all women's restrooms and asks "What's That?". Must wash hands. The food comes and Ryder only wants to eat what I ordered for Rustin...thank goodness Rustin isn't old enough to care.

Reliving it even wears me out. I often wonder what people are thinking about me. Am I an open book...do I look as frazzled as I feel? I was talking to Matt this evening and told him that the funny thing is, I wouldn't change things. It would be so much easier to just stay home and never go anywhere, but I just can't do it. I have to get out of the house, I have to give R&R a change of scenery as much as I have to give myself one. In that respect I can't complain too much, but I do think I am justified in eating my 300 tootsie rolls ;)

Onto other things...Rustin turned 9 months old! Virtual Baby Book time. He is 17.5 lbs which puts him in the fifth percentile of babies his age. He got his first tooth two weeks ago and I just noticed the one right next to it coming through tonight. His hair was crazy! Crazy, crazy, crazy...he looked like a little troll baby. He got a haircut for the first time yesterday. He looks all grown up now...silly how cutting some hair makes them look so different. He is full on crawling and follows us from room to room. Hmmmm....what else is he doing....feeding himself finger-like foods, practicing drinking from a cup and crying if we leave his sight.

We're all moved in here at the new Ft. Smith. Well for all intended purposes we are. The garage is still a work in progress and the yard...well it needs some help. We'll get it all fixed up in due time. We still seem to spend most of our lives back in Mansfield, but I think we'll slowly start realizing whats out here in the country and begin to make fewer trips back to the "city". Ha! Here are some pictures for ya!


The before shot...it doesn't look too wild here, but remember I had just brushed it for the outing.


The after shot...all spiked and sporty for his new big boy style..ha! That lasted all 2 seconds, or at least long enough for me to snap a picture.



The usual Ryder shot. From behind. Do you guys even remember what his face looks like?

 
Oh there we go...give me that "Olan Mills" pose.  Perfect! Look closely and you can spot the stains from the tootsie roll midgies he shared with me on the couch right before bedtime.  Yummy!


Our new favorite thing.  We bust this bad boy out every night right after Ryder goes to bed.  Technically it is a Margarita Machine, but for all intended purposes it is a blender.  Frozen Strawberries, Frozen Blueberries, Nonfat Vanilla Yogurt and some Crystal Light equals two delicious smoothies.  Our treat (beyond the tootsie rolls) at the end of a long day.


And finally, another glimpse inside of Ft. Smith.  I am infatuated with DIY Blogs and looking at other people's homes/rooms.  Taking little ideas here and there. Not really anything exciting here except that I really stepped out of my comfort zone color-wise.  I am a khaki girl..everything is khaki.  Blue was a bold new step for me.  New carpet and a new ceiling fan.  Nothing else is new. Our furniture is really old, but I think if we change out the hardware it will give it a whole new look.  When I get it done, I'll do a before/after and we'll see if it makes a big change or not. 

OK...thats it.  Night!
Photobucket

5 comments:

Mary said...

My take on your day=you are surviving! That's all we can say sometimes...that and "Ive been there!" I'm tired after reliving it with you so take that as a compliment! Ha

yes, spray park date coming up soon! I don't have Ty's school to worry about over the summer :)

I'm really wanting a drink machine like that-I'm addicted to crystal light slurpees. Would save some $$ making my own!

Carley said...

Great update! I am so behind on my blog but don't seem to care enough to do anything about it. :) Haven't wanted to be on the computer when I'm home so I read blogs when I'm at work on Tues/Thurs. That's probably bad since I should be working. Ha! Anyway, we are obsessed with making smoothies too but haven't thought about putting crystal light. I'll have to try that. Cool machine...we only have a blender. :) Love your room...the blue looks great!

I love DYI blogs too. I'd rather spend my time reading DYI blogs and craft blogs than anything else on the computer. Here's a GREAT blog for you to read...she has great projects listed on the side and always putting up something new and easy to do.

http://brownpaper--packages.blogspot.com/

Sorry your day was so stressful. I'm sure when we have another kid to add to the mix I'll end up with stories like that! Sounds like you definately needed tootsie rolls!

Ok...sorry for the long post. Better get back to work. Ha! Hope today is less eventful but still fun!

Carley said...

Oh...and I meant to say...your boys are ADORABLE! I can see why you mentioned on one of my posts that Cody reminded you of your boys. I love the smiles and blond hair and I think pictures from behind are worth 1000 words sometimes. Too cute! Love the haircut!

Anonymous said...

What a handsome handful you have! I love Rustin's new do! I wish so much that Trevor could pull off short hair... he looks like Shaggy right now. ugh.

And I echo Mary when I say I have been there, and it will definitely get better! And I confess when Trevor hit the potty training stage I instantly became glad that I'd had Tatum so many months earlier so I wouldn't be doing the potty thing with an infant! I am zero help with that one!

As hard as it is to keep getting out there and to keep doing things, I agree that it is SO worth it. And the good part is, it ONLY gets easier!

We've been watching a lot of Nemo in our house lately, and so sometimes, I get the mantra of "just keep swimming, just keep swimming..." in my head. It makes me laugh and reminds me to just keep doing it... good times are always around the corner!

Wanna make the playdate happen next week? When is good for you?

The Hoelscher Five said...

Joy, cute pics and adorable haircut.
The blue and red room looks amazing! I am a brown girl myself so I know what a big deal that was for you! :)
I just broke the glass jar to our blender while it was full of smoothies!! We were making smoothies almost daily! What kind of machine is that? I have gone through so many, I need something really STURDY!!