Thursday, August 2, 2012

Refrigerator Magnets

My Mom's Birthday was yesterday.  We had given her a gift in May as an early Birthday present, so for her actual Birthday the boys and I made some little home-made gifts.

We started out making a set of Refrigerator Magnets I had seen on Pinterest.  The idea came from this blog:  Ambrosia Girl.  She provides a great tutorial, but I modified my method a little bit.

These are really easy to make.  When you get started,  you'll need to select a few photos that you want to print out small. You will also need:
-Photo Paper
-Card Stock
-Glue Stick
-Magnets (You can find them at a Craft Store or the Craft Aisle at Wal-Mart for under $5)
-Acrylic Clear Spray Finish (optional...this just protects the pictures a little bit)

 I did two different sizes:  1x1 and 2x2.  I used PSE to reduce the size of the picture and then printed them out on 4x6 Photo Paper.  If you have 8.5 x 11 photo paper you could print them all on one page.  I didn't and didn't want to go buy anything else. I used the template on the Ambrosia Girl Blog to get a polaroid effect.  She has full directions if you want the same look. When I was finished, I had something like this:

Next you want to use your glue stick and put glue all over the back of your picture. 

Adhere it to a piece of white card stock like this:

I have a small paper cutter (purchased at Michael's for under $25) that I used to cut each of the photos out after I had glued them to the card stock.  Trim all around the perimeter of your "polaroid" like this:

Once you have your picture cut out, it will be nice and small.  Cut your magnet strips the approximate length of your picture like this:

Next, peel and stick the magnet to the back of your picture like this:

Finally, I sprayed a little of this all over the front of my pictures to protect them.

I ended up with all of these:

I tied them together with some string like this:

And stuck them on top of a jar of chocolate sugar scrub (3 T of Cocoa Powder, 1 T Vanilla, Brown Sugar and Olive oil until you reach the right consistency).  The magnets work well for this since the jar has a metal lid!  It looked like this:

I made a few extra and put them on our fridge.  I love them! 


Hope you do some for your fridge..easy and cheap!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Super Cute!!! I've had such bad luck with magnet strips... as in, they don't seem to be magnetic. Even for paper... what kind did you buy?