Monday, August 4, 2008

Fun with Sprout!


I know that there is a lot of debate regarding whether TV is or is not beneficial for children and yikes even worse babies. Never the less, I have found a a PBS affiliated channel called Sprout. This is a channel that I let Ryder watch. Here are my feelings: I want my child to develop language skills. A lot of days it is just Ryder and I at home. Although I do talk to Ryder throughout the day, there are a lot of times when I have noticed that I get in a zone and am not talking. It is those times that I turn on Sprout if for nothing more than for Ryder to hear people talking. I have found that almost all of the shows have some kind of a lesson and I really like the programming. At any rate, Ryder loves this character in the Evening named "Star". He is basically a stuffed animal that talks. Yes, very corny, but my child loves him! He will stop in his tracks and laugh with excitement at the TV. Matt and I decided to go to Sproutonline.com and see if we could find a "Star" Toy to get Ryder for his Birthday. No luck, but it is really a fun site. Especially for the Preschool aged child. Ryder and those his age (Evan, Trevor, Morgan, Prestley, Charlotte..you get the idea) are still a little young. I had fun making a picture of Ryder with Elmo and just thought I'd sing the Sprout praises!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trevor is a big fan of "Sprout" as well...though we only get it "on demand" and don't have the channel itself. Instead, he watches regular 'ol PBS. I don't think there is anything wrong with letting babies watch TV (gasp!)...so long as they aren't parked in front of it for hours on end!... And I'm fairly certain Ryder isn't!

Janelle said...

We don't get sprout, but we get PBS (really fuzzy - no antenna or cable). Tori loves the singing and dancing on all the shoes. I swear I never thought I would let my kid watch Barney or anything like that, but she loves them!

Amber Connors said...

Evan is a Wiggles and Baby Einstein junkie. We usually let him watch about 20-25 minutes each day - sometimes all at once and sometimes in 5 minute segments. Language acquisition comes in all forms from watching TV, to listening to books, to hearing others speak in person. :-) Make sure Ryder gives kisses to Evan's Grammie and Pa-pa this weekend! I'm so jealous they're coming for a visit!

Frances Outlaw-Jones said...

We're addicted to Noggin. Its the Nick Jr. ed channel. I always always feel guilty about letting Caleb watch it, but he loves it and it gives me a break. We're a tv family so he'll be a tv kid. So, don't worry about it- we're all doing it! : ) Just remember you also paint and read and sing and play and ......you're doing a great job! At least that's what I'm telling myself : )

~Momma Zookeeper said...

Hi, (we went to high school together... I saw your blog from Allison's page)... just wanted to let you know that I read that "Star" will more than likely be released as a pillow this holiday season. ~Amber (used to be Marasco) Good luck! :-)