Wednesday, June 10, 2009

If I could be a Child in the Summer Again....

I loved the summertime growing up! I especially loved the feeling you'd get that last day of school. The days grew longer and there were no rules about getting homework done or being in bed at a certain time. We'd stay outside until the mosquitoes had eaten us to a pulp and we couldn't see each other anymore!

Yesterday, while Ryder and I were outside, I caught a glimpse of what it was like to be a child in the summer again. It made me wonder if I went back and did it all over, would there be anything I could do differently to make it even better than I remember? He gave me a few ideas:

I guess I could have pretended to be a Dog and drink water from my "Bowl".

I could have challenged my strength and endurance a little more by always insisting on climbing up the slide while wet instead of using the stairs to get to the top.

I could have challenged my brain a little more by trying to fix the leak under my Dad's Ice Chest.

I could have eaten chocolate chip cookies, then lay in the grass looking up in the sky, contemplating what I could do next that would be better than this.

I could have looked for treasure in a banana tree forest.

I could have smiled this big!

We hope you all are having a wonderful start to your summer! We are enjoying every minute of it here!

1 comments:

Mary said...

So much to say! First, LOVE your background/layout!! It is fantastic! Great pictures of Ryder he is adorable! And the 6 a.m. thing is for the birds...and it might be BECAUSE of birds if you house is like ours...My fans to block out noise in the kids' rooms get louder and louder. And I do love the book--it has specific chapters for things like you're talking about. I think one idea is to put them to bed a little earlier (sounds crazy I know,) for a few days and see if that makes him sleep later. It might be that the sun is wearing him out and he needs that much more sleep??? I don't know! Get the book it's a life saver :)